Skip to toolbar

Over the hills and far away

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Over the hills and far away

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  civilcourage 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

laughingboy
    20673xp
    Cult of Games Member

So I just got done watching all 5 seasons and the 2 specials of Sharpe… I loved this series when I was a kid so going back to it was great.

Now I don’t want to fun to stop so I want to take it to the tabletop… This is not an area where I have much knowledge I have seen Warlord do a Chosen Men box but I think the rules are more mass battle where I really want to do Skirmish level.

Does anyone know a good rule set? models? (clearly, I need a Sharpe) but also French skirmish etc. I think the chosen men set is a no brainer.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

kantor72
    4854xp
    Cult of Games Member

Have a look at the TooFatLardies ” Sharp Practice ” or the Osprey Publishing ” Chosen Men “.

innes
    11086xp
    Cult of Games Member

Osprey’s Chosen Men seems very Sharpe-flavoured. Lots of skills for your characters, rules for harper’s volleygun, rules for spies(Ducos, Munro). Lists for Peninsular campaign and Waterloo. Looks good, I still haven’t got around to playing it yet though. On my list of things to get done this year.

Miniature wise, i went for perry miniatures for my 95th Rifles. For the french i got a victrix line infantry box and a few Warlord Games lancers. My mate picked up some Portugese line infantry and cacadores from Warlord. All nice minis, but the victrix ones have a lot of mould lines.

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

Too Fat Lardies Sharp Practice 2 is perfect for Sharp.

They also have a book called “The Compleat Fondler” which has 18 Scenarios that are taken from the Sharp Novels and TV Show.

All the Scenario’s have special rules like “Fondler’s Rifles” where The Patrick Harper Character is only Status I because he’s bickering with Sharpe or “Fondler’s Captain” taken from the Sharpe’s Escape novel where Slingsby takes the light Company from Sharpe and he can’t influence them until Slingsby dies.

They also mix up the regular game with missions like “Fondler’s Siege” which is a recreation of Sharpe’s Enemy where they attack the Deserters. “Fondler’s Lady” is more like an RPG than Sharp practice and looks like a lot of fun.  It even has a Battle of Le Haye Sainte at the end.

Chosen Men is also good bu for the Sharpe feel I’d defiantly recommend Sharp Practice and The Compleat Fondler. Also the Sharpe Novels are fantastic and available on Audiobook, they’re even better than the TV in my opinion and give you a lot of ideas for games.

laughingboy
    20673xp
    Cult of Games Member

Awesome thank you all for all of the above, I can feel the itch in my wallet already… and I like it

matakishi
    Participant
    68xp

Here’s my Sharpe project:

https://www.matakishi.net/napoleonic-skirmish.html

spanish-village-008_origspanish-village-large-009_orig

My rules are available here:

https://www.matakishi.net/store/p2/Over_The_Hills_And_Far_Away.html

napoleonic-cover-600_orig

You can play with 8 men a side to start.

beaudouro
    1147xp

I agree with @elessar2590 if you are looking to refight the skirmishes from the books or TV show then look no further than Sharp Practice! Chosen Men by Osprey is also a good rules set (I own both) but Sharp Practice has the advantage of the Compleat Fondler which gives you a load of cool scenarios to play. The only drawback is that you still need quite a few figures for some of the scenarios. They are easily scaled down with a little work however.

@matakishi – I’ll give these a read. They look interesting!

civilcourage
    Participant
    11114xp

@laughingboy i second (or is it third now) Sharp practice. Great ruleset and easy to pick up especially if you have a look at some of the lets plays on here. Didnt take me long to convert several of my local club to play.

Regarding miniatures i got the chosen men, Patrick and Sharpe himself from brigade games in the US. Very fast delivery (im in the UK and it came in a week!) and they have all the Sharpe characters. I started painting a few on my project if you wanted to see them:

Civs Napoleonic British – Black Powder 28mm

laughingboy
    20673xp
    Cult of Games Member

Awesome thank you, everyone!

laughingboy
    20673xp
    Cult of Games Member

@civilcourage awesome project! I will be using that as my inspiration for sure.

civilcourage
    Participant
    11114xp

@laughingboy, no problem i look forward to seeing a project on your Napoleonic adventures, might gear me up to actually finish mine!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)