Skip to toolbar

Kickstarter: Bahamut colossal model

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Kickstarter: Bahamut colossal model

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  2nddynasty 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

Bahamut – the World’s Only Colossal Platinum Dragon Figure, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/getonthepath/bahamut-the-worlds-only-colossal-platinum-dragon

Has anyone else seen this Kickstarter. I’ve never seen a Kickstarter “business model” like this before. Only one resin pre-painted model is to be produced. It’s in photo so I assume it’s already been made.

Backers are buying a ticket to enter a raffle to get the model. The tickets are 4 but the funding level is 1885 so there would be around 470 tickets in the draw.

I can’t decide if it’s novel or a scam.

zeker1966
    1633xp
    Cult of Games Member

It looks like a scam to me. The dragon doesn’t even look that special to me. It’s like he took a spray can of silver and dusted it. If he’s successful he will make about 20-40 times what it’s worth. Just my opinion but I’d stay away from this. If he was raising funds for a charity maybe but the charity is him.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9268xp

Can they use ks as a lottery? Must be breaking some kind of rule, or law.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

From the “Risks and challenges” section:

and I will likely be evicted lol

Yeah… that thing looks to me more like a flea market decorative piece repainted. He couldn’t even care to put the minis on a table to film…. oO

lancorz
    Participant
    5699xp

Can they use ks as a lottery? Must be breaking some kind of rule, or law.

No you cannot use Kickstarter as a raffle. You can see their prohibited items here

This is a filthy way to abuse tabletop gamers.

I don’t want to judge someone’s hobby, but considering he’s talking about turning to something he loves and kickstarting; his collection and presentation doesn’t look very impressive to qualify as a ‘hobby’. The only mini I recognise in his floor table is the Blood Rage troll.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9268xp

Never ceases to amaze me how gullible people are. They see a bargain and go for it. If a deal is too good to be true… it’s not true.

2nddynasty
    Participant
    2192xp

I have reported the project, I am pretty sure that this violates the rules (no competitions, etc, not to mention there is no mention of how the draw works, etc), and in the least warrants investigation.

kiranamida
    5783xp
    Cult of Games Member

I mean, if I was feeling cynical there isn’t even any proof that he painted persay. Anyone could just buy a dragon statue from their local tweeny goth shop and flog it on KS.

How did this even get this far? I thought all KSs where at least passingly reviewed by a pair of human eyes before being sent out.

lancorz
    Participant
    5699xp

Reading his comment replies is dreadful. Clearly he knows it’s a scam and seeing how far he can get with Kickstarter before it’s shut down.

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not sure if I would call it a scam. Seems to me he’s being very upfront about exactly what this Kickstarter is all about

2nddynasty
    Participant
    2192xp

Only in the sense that almost anyone that can read can quickly deduce that they are paying for a chance to win a product.

2nddynasty
    Participant
    2192xp

The project has been taken down and cancelled by Kickstarter or the owner (not sure which).

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Never read the KS page but this sounds like a scamola (scammier than a scam)

odinsgrandson
    Participant
    4288xp

Quick clarification:

He wasn’t “producing” a single resin mini. That mini had already been produced and painted (as you can tell from the pictures). He was looking for a profitable way to sell the thing.

It is a repainted resin statue (you can get similar ones from various gift shops).

He was insisting that the Kickstarter was not a raffle, but that people are contributing to one lucky backer getting the (only) statue. Either he misunderstood what a raffle was, or the one backer wasn’t meant to be a ‘random’ backer (ie- he picks some friend and gives the statue to him/her).

Anyway, Kickstarter shut it down (I confirmed elsewhere that it was taken down by KS and not by the creator).

maledrakh
    Participant
    11996xp

a bit taken back by the fact that several people actually pledged for this. Of course they might be doing that just to post warnings in the comment, so there is that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)