Skip to toolbar

Hobby weekender 09/02/2019 – Right Place, Right Year…

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby weekender 09/02/2019 – Right Place, Right Year…

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 65 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mage 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

Welcome All to another Hobby Weekender! As per tradition started generations ago, and handed down from wise elders, the intro blurb is shamelessly cut and paste below once again and possibly for all time…:

To the uninitiated, this is a virtual hobby hangout here on the forum. It is something fun and silly with a little more ‘oomph’. Its not just show and tell with your models. Its chatting, getting to know one another, community building. Think of it as a sort of club like hobby session. Everyone is welcome, of course, and there are a few rules to abide by. Let it go as OT as you like with chatting with folks. BoW/OTT is a special, unique community, and this little weekly thread is a tradition on these forums. Though not for everyone, if you are still reading and keen, then it is for you. If not, best click out.

We do a few things on this thread that usually lasts from Friday or Saturday til about Wednesday or Thursday. My say is final in this silly little corner of the internet. Fear not, for this is your safe place against the outside world of flame wars, trolling and all that other crap.

(1) Make a pledge for the weekend. It can be painting, assembly, priming, converting, background writing, terrain, you name it. Just gotta be relevant to hobbying or gaming.

(2) Chat with people. Be friendly. Do get to know one another, be kind, provide positive reinforcement and constructive criticism. Do not post up your real name, credit card, bank details or home address info.

(3) I will list out questions. Answer them. Longer answers = more points. Also, points are being assigned to something else as it confused some folk for a while.

(4) Awards will be given out at the end of the thread and you shall be awarded XP, added to your account profile by the wonderful @lancorz . Think of him as the ever vigilant Batman of the forums who keeps a careful eye on the status quo, but also acts in a way, like Alfred; with a calm disposition and the attentive nature of a concierge.

(5) Scottish Pub Law rules: no discussion of religion or politics**. Keep it clean. Behave. Be nice, be kind. Walk away if you get angry. Don’t be a dick.

Also there are bonuses for the following ‘Achievements’:
    · Most Valuable Player (most engaged with topic)
    · Fire Starter (topic starter, encourages the member circulation)
    · Hobby Champ (most hobby over the weekend)
    · Meme Lord (ryhmes, funnies & memes)
    · Pun-Tertainment (best pun)
    · Brush Licker (painting & terrain)
    · Headliner DJ (most eclectic music)
    · Armchair Commander (weekend battle reports)
    · Community Usher (helpful & engaged)
    · Storyteller (weekly discussion & story)

Note: All points are awarded in fictional currencies… sometimes

To get the conversation started, this week’s questions! Now with 17% more impromptu enthusiasm! For no apparent reason!…

1. What faction/myth/folklore/nation/race/species would you like to add into an existing game? Why?

2. Are there any household items you have considered misappropriating for gaming purposes? If so, what are they and how would you use them?

3. What’s your favourite way to spend the last few hours of an evening at the end of your weekend in order to better prepare you for the week ahead?

OK, I’m off to figure out this week’s novelty currency… Back soon…

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Whoop! Firsr

and hesding to bed

ny pledge is Fili, Kiki and nori fromNthe hobbit

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage sleep sounds like a solid strategy 🙂

Fair bit of progress today on stuff that fall under the hobby umbrella – first up after a few hours of tinkering this morning and troubleshooting an apparently cascading stream of issues I got my 3d printer back up and running. fairly pleased with that 🙂 So will now spend tomorrow printing a whole bunch of exciting things, like square bases… Been busy slicing up similar terribly useful stl files and saving them on one SD card which I will keep to the side for when I only have a little filament left on the current roll.

Also got some more work done on my barbican – just need to stipple on some brown and green for dirt and moss respectively and then I can start attacking the wood and roof tiles.

Finally, stripped a bunch of old and second hand minis, repaired many breakages, reglued, rebased and primed. Toying with the idea of going nuts on a hobby-a-thon with some upcoming time up and if I decide to go ahead it would be nice to have a bunch of stuff on hand with the prep work already sorted.

Pics tomorrow when I’m organised and hopefully a little more coherent 🙂

dawfydd
    11893xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m getting these boys primed up this morning:

2019-02-08 21.35.32

Then I’m out this afternoon to see Alita: Battle Angel (a film I’ve been eagerly awaiting ever since hearing that Jim  Cameron had acquired the rights) followed by boardgames with the old Borders crew in the evening.

At the moment no painting planned but might try to fit some in tomorrow 🙂

Gonna throw in some viewing recommendations:

• The superb hard-science fiction space opera The Expanse is now up on Amazon Prime, including the 3rd season available for the first time  outside the US. Burnt through the whole of S3 yesterday (had to take something off the pain…) and it was utterly fantastic. Can’t wait for Season 4…
    • Star Trek Discovery continues its excellent run of form in Season 2, with an episode that has possibly the most Trek plot that ever Trekked, plus a tour de force performance from Doug Jones  🙂
    • The first two Star Wars: Galaxy of Adventure shorts – recapping the Yoda/Dooku Episode II fight and Luke/Vader from ESB -were awesome, but the latest one blows them out of the water with it’s focus on the Rebellions MVP, Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan

I also need to work out some logistics, as I’ve volunteered myself to read a short story from The Black Library for The Fluffenhammer, and have opted to tackle the original Gaunt’s Ghosts short story from issue #4 of Inferno!, so need to work out the best way to record with the resources at my disposal, and do I dare trying to do voices for the different characters……

sundancer
    42608xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good morning lads.

1. What faction/myth/folklore/nation/race/species would you like to add into an existing game? Why?

Ewoks. For Star Wars Legion.  Simply to use them in tournaments to annoy the hell out of those powerplaying metamonstergamers who don’t give a rats ass for fluff. “Oh see, little Wicket brought down your AT-ST and Vader is drowning in fur….” Alternatively something similar for the Empire. Ugnaught or Java.

2. Are there any household items you have considered misappropriating for gaming purposes? If so, what are they and how would you use them?

“considering”? I’d would bet there isn’t a single wargamer who hasn’t already done that XD Old Haribo sweet boxes make excellent parts/bits boxes. A sieve with an electric fly swap make an excellent static grass applying device. Toothpicks and the likes are used extensively XD

3. What’s your favourite way to spend the last few hours of an evening at the end of your weekend in order to better prepare you for the week ahead?

I don’t do that. Simply because I don’t see the need. I have my daily routine and that involves going to bed at a similar each day. And since my job is rather unpredictable (servers break down out of nowhere) it would be wasted time anyways 😉

dawfydd
    11893xp
    Cult of Games Member

And primed:
    2019-02-09 11.10.14

Boardgame session has been cancelled, but that does mean I can get to an earlier screening of Alita, so I’m now going to motor. Later chaps 🙂

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

Closest I can think of off hand is the Suicide Squad into Infinity just for the rule of cool and so I have an excuse to get them. Other than that then the David Gemmel universe made into a war game would be epic. Drugs, Skilgannon etc. Amazing stuff. In fact stop reading my reply and go read Legend. I’ll wait.

For me thanks to my missus, I keep an eye out on the nail polish innovations as they do cross over with figure painting (both are acrylics). Still waiting on shatter effect technical paints.

Curled up in a foetal position crying and murmering that I’m too young for this. True story. I hate my job.

As for pledge I need to finish the figures for Here’s Negan but I have a particularly ferocious cold so not sure I can get much done especially as my painting room is easily the coldest in the house.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@evilstu

It has helped as strategies go. Can’t imagine a sleep stratagem card working out or well in a 40k army. Even for Nercrons.

Man you really are getting into 3d printing. Ill spend tomorrow sleeping for the most part. When I get up I have to go to a work going away do for a colleague. Honestly, Id rather stay at home, play switch, eat a frozen pizza, binge watch weekenders and Netflix and paint minis. I know Im going to be wrecked tired tomorrow evening.

What is a barbican?

What kinda second hand mins? Go nuts with a hobby-a-thon. When will you do it?

Pics! Pics! Pics!

@dawfydd

I can’t wait to see that movie either. I saw Glass last week. It was good. More Imperial Knight goodness.

Some decent priming and goodies to work with. Shame the boardgame night was cancelled.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

For me

Faction: Mercenaries into 40k. They worked well with Warmachine.

Myth: An army of titans from Greek myth along with their cultist and magical servants to go into Age of Sigmar

Folklore: A Loch Ness Monster. Easy. For Age of Sigmar.

Nation: I’m really not sure about this one. It would be cool to have a bunch of Vikings armed with Machine guns fighting the battle of helms deep but I digress. Probably an Irish or Korean army into Konflikt 47.

Race: The Al-Bhed from Final Fantasy X. They are human desert dwellers who are experts with technology in a technophobic world. They’d work in any Sci-fi or gantasy game.

Species: Klingons, again into any game.

I will come back to this one.

What are these weekends you speak of? Shift worker with irregular hours and days, well they would seem that way if you read my rota at first glance. I don’t get the Monday blues.

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Happy Weekend!

It’s a fresh Sunday morning, I’ve got my first coffee. Later we have to go shopping but for now I can relax.

Thanks to @evilstu for hosting again!

The pledge will be to finish the current squad and start another. Also start posting in the project I’m creating around these guys.

682E8B98-73AC-4B5C-B321-39011D9974A6

The A’s to the Q’s

1. Hmmmm…. I was thinking a couple of options… but perhaps the potentially most interesting one would be from our own part of the world @evilstu . Australian indigenous culture has a wealth of stories that could add an interesting and characterful faction to any game. It would have to be done respectfully and sincerely, but I think that in (for example) a real-world fantasy setting it could add something quite unique and engaging. Think about Wyrd’s Other Side, or WWX. I know in the 90’s White Wolf had some stuff that I know of for Werewolf and Wraith. But to me it never quite rang true. I feel as though there’s interesting stories to be shared there, beyond our borders.
    2. Oh geez, so many! Haven’t we all walked through a random non-gaming store and assessed the contents for its potential to be used in gaming/hobby? Ever looked at a failing house appliance like a toaster/ food processor/ vacuum and thought “When you finally die, your components are mine!” Considered if you can convert a stationery receptacle into a dice tray? I’ve dismantled printers to obtain the gears for scenery, the shells and lids for bases. The wiring for… wiring. I’ve looked at various bits and pieces from computers for Necromunda scenery. Hell, I’ve assessed the agitator from a top load washing machine and determined it would make a good sci-fi tower/ nuclear cooling chimney/ inter-galactic starship thruster. Fisher & Paykel model agitators specifically.
    3. Probably just doing hobby. I like to feel I’ve done something with my weekend.

sundancer
    42608xp
    Cult of Games Member

R4-I9 and FX-9 Droids are finished!

IMG_20190209_231907877IMG_20190209_231925425IMG_20190209_231958816_HDR

With all the added 17% increase in impromptu enthusiasm that can be purchased through the joy of a chocolate candybar “…yay…”

For the pledge this week. Get the turret on one of the tanks I ordered painted and the weapon options set with magnets.

On to the questions…

1. I think that there might be room for using the other Chaos gods aside from Nurgle and Khorne in GW supported Blood Bowl teams. Nurgle is evident as a team all to its own. If you take a look at the Chaos Dwarves there’s Khorne influence there. Neither Tzeentch nor Slaanesh get any love in official minis. I doubt there really will be much in the way of support for Slaanesh due to the complication of “adult themes”.

Even in FUMBBL there was nothing other than Chaos for team composition. If the rules for Amazons were tweaked slightly with the Vampire Lords then have models akin to the ones from Sukubus Studios it should work out well. Perhaps have some frenzied cultists kitted out in chains during their throes of ecstasy as thralls would work. Then I guess you could kitbash some Daemonettes as Blitzers. Maybe if there were a Keeper of Secrets as their Big Guy (I forget what Nurgle’s Rotters get). Other positions I have little idea how to fill out at the moment.

2. Household items I’ve considered converting to gaming items… normally anything around my house is fair game. I’d say that toothpicks are a good start. Clip them and shove the clipped end into a cut section of foam and then build up from there for fantasy earthworks. Popsicle sticks are great for building up wooden platforms faster than trying to do it with coffee stirrers. Used dryer sheets can probably be repurposed as netting for wargames if you douse it with some PVA and let dry in the position you want and color it to taste. That’d sure beat buying the stuff normally marketed for 35mm.

3. A favorite end to the weekend? I normally do laundry in order to prepare for the upcoming week but its not exactly something I am ecstatic about. Sure I like having the ability to wear a clean pair of ass covers regularly but its more a necessity. I guess the goofing off with videogames while the wash is running is my wind down time.

Now… for @dawfydd as you’ve always been good to provide Transformer lore…

@sundancer I heartily support the idea of ewoks. Let them loose with their Indomitable Treetrunk Technology!

@woldenspoons I think that the idea for nailpolish to be used as a mask for metal etching is great. I caught a little bit of that in this video and I think it would work for other areas of etching

@rayzryr I think that the Changing Breeds expansion for Werewolf poked a little into the Australian legends but put the Bunyip as a breed that went extinct. I know that there was quite a bit in the fluff with their War of Rage (?) as to why the world was as it was in the aftermath

Off to Netflix binge a bit and maybe game

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@dawfydd looks to be an ambitious amount of priming there – are you working in sub-assemblies? ie, are the carapaces glued on at this stage or removable? And some more Wolves into the mix too. How was the movie? 30 chocolate coated coffee beans for hobby progress.

@sundancer Ewoks would be Hilarious! Would be almost as much fun to troll powergamers with as Gunguns (we all know it’s going to happen one day…), Still need to get round to actually making one of those static grass applicators – would be much easier to just batch-produce 500 grass tufts at a go and store them for later use rather than to mess about with PVA and trying to get grass to behave as desired when you are trying to finish and base an army.  Oh yeah, IT breaks down 24/7 so you have to be in a state of cat-like readiness at a moments notice :-/ Hope you do manage to de-stress rather than focus on the ‘what might be about to go wrong’ all the time 🙂 Nice work on the droids! Quite the list of options you are starting to have with your Legion forces. 60 chocolate coated coffee beans for question responses and hobby progress.

@woldenspoons Infinity version of the Suicide Squad would definitely be cool. I may need to get around to reading Legend (but my to-read pile is already huge… OK not as bad as the to-paint pile but you get where I’m coming from…). Shatter effect technical paints? Hrm, you now have me wondering if my GF’s nail art stickers could be modified into shield decals… Ugh, we’ve all been there I’m sure – jobs you don’t like just grind you down 🙁 Hope you can work a out a way to improve things for yourself 🙂 Fingers crossed you feel better soon! 30 chocolate coated coffee beans for question responses.

@mage sleep stratagem in 40k would be awesome! You just need to frame it as ‘Scouts steal all the opposing Guardsman’s coffee and replace it with decaf – they all fight with -2 initiative for the rest of the game’ or something ;-P OK, I’ll stop 🙂 Hope you got through the shift OK. A Barbican is a fortified gateway that forms a part of the wall around a town or city. So one of these:

20190210_171223a20190210_171300a

Still need to finish off the hoarding (wood bit that sits on the gap on the top right wall). Just waiting for the varnish to settle, will then hit with a matt spray and retouch slightly. If I do the hobby-a-ton will be next week – have a High elf Sea Patrol army queued up and some Chaos mortal reinforcements which are now all prepped and ready to be painted up and incorporated into my existing forces. Mercs in 40K would be great. Why hasn’t that been done before? Yeah I remember both shift work and graveyards all too well – do things line up so you get a couple of days off in a row fairly regularly or is it too chaotic? 50 chocolate coated coffee beans for detailed question responses and other posts.

@rayzryr coffee! What a way to kick off a Sunday 🙂 Nice progress on the Marines. And pledging to dive back in to a second squad no less. Yes key would be on handling things in a respectful manner – not sure that could necessarily always be relied upon to happen. Heh, yeah Bunnings is really expensive to walk through as a gamer. Oooh! band saws are just $150! I could use one to make some really nice movement trays! and similar nonsense that my brain tells me when I am there to pick up something practical like dowelling, superglue and insulation foam (none of which is even a little bit for hobby purposes.. nope, not at all…). 40 chocolate coated coffee beans for question responses and hobby progress.

@horati0nosebl0wer yeah – I have a bunch of older Slaanesh models that I’m planning to rework in the near future into my chaos army. A bit twitchy about whether they will need a NSFW header on the updates. Am I being too conservative? Actually, it’s probably more the raging Heroes minis I’m going to add to the force that are more of a concern… Both gods could make nice thematic BB teams though if done well. 40 chocolate coated coffee beans for question responses and responses to others.

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

Other hobby stuff I’ve been working on:

– Got my Middenheim force more or less rolling from a painting perspective. Planning on just chain-painting the whole bunch at once. As I’m planning on using an AP dip should be able to get away with just base colours without highlighting at this stage so shouldn’t be all that bad… Progress as of Friday:

20190208_214658a

Getting the printer fixed on Saturday was a major roadblock removed – can now print more bases etc for all the old minis I’m restoring/scratchbuilding (I’ve been stealing bases form one kit to make another, now I can just make what I need instead).

Also, as mentioned in an earlier post, stripped, repaired/restored and primed a bunch of old and/or second hand minis.

20190210_171231a

My High elf sea Patrol now stands at 2 blocks of 15 seaguard, a block of 10 marines, 2 units each of 6 shadow warriors and a leader (plus 2 boats and a dragon but he’s not there…). So just need either one or two mages and then this is a reasonably fieldable force.

For the Chaos guys (and this might be my paintathon project),  I’ll be looking at adding the following for each of the gods:

Tzeentch will get 2 more characters (one on foot and one on a flying burny-disc of spikes) and a block of 6 knights.

Nurgle will get 5 warriors (to top up an existing unit of 10), 14 warriors with command and a champion to go with, a chariot, a unit of 6 knights and single extra knight to beef up an existing knight unit to being 6 strong.

Khorne will get 14 warriors with command, 2 commanders on foot, a unit of 6 knights, a single knight to be the 6th in an existing unit, and an additional 2 blocks of 5 knights. Plus 4 more marauders to push an existing unit up to 20 strong.

Sounds like Tzeentch isn’t getting much love but there are plenty of daemons set aside for them later on, plus a box of wargods of Aegyptus minis I picked up nigh on 10 years ago which I plan to use to make a 15 strong unit of Tzeentch Chosen.

So I shouldn’t be short of stuff to do 🙂

dawfydd
    11893xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu I am indeed doing sub-assemblies on the Knights – the main carapaces are glued in place as they are majority black /very dark grey in any case, but I primed the other armour plates separately in Fur Brown to provide a richer base for the reds, yellows & golds of the House Mortan colour  scheme. Likewise I’ve kept the Preceptors weapons separate for ease of painting (the Las-impulsor in several parts so the gun-shield could be painted)  and the Armigers arms I primed in place as it was easier but they were not glued so that they could be taken off for painting.

2019-02-10 14.21.422019-02-10 14.21.32

I’m also only painting one of the Armigers at this point as I ran out of Stirland Battlemire and wanted to get the bases textured before I began painting the Knights. Hopefully I can end today with the gold trim blocked in and the endo-skeletons of the two knights base-coated 🙂

Alita was excellent. Definitely worth catching on the big screen, and i think I’m going to be re-reading the manga on my iPad later…

Digging the amount of minis you’ve  stripped. Reminds me I could probably make use of the old metal Shadow Warriors and the Mordehim Elf Mage (plus some other bits) to build an AoS force of wandering Elven Rangers. You’ve also reminded me that I still have my old partially-completed Stir River Patrol army in a case in here somewhere….

@horati0nosebl0wer good shout on The Cybertronic Spree 😀

@sundancer have you seen the selection from Skullforge Studios? I really dig their Professor Moxi…

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sun-and-skull-studios

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)