Skip to toolbar

Recommend me a good dungeon crawler ;)

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Recommend me a good dungeon crawler ;)

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 42 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  tanath 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Also, with Dungeon Saga, was there a previous version of it or a spiritual prdecessor? Like Dwarf Kings hold or something? Is that what Im getting mixed up with?

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Erm, kind of. They did a game called Dwarf’s Kings’s hold which was played on dungeon tiles so that could be why you asked about their being two versions of the game.

storminwolf
    3023xp

The original Warhammer Quest, though minis are outdated nowadays, and it is probably a few times out of the price range.

The Others – 7 Sins is one of my group’s favorites.

Massive Darkness is a good base and can be tweaked to avoid the fast power rise of the heroes. I still have it on my list of things to do to adapt this to incorporate some of the classic WHQ rules.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Actually, thinking about it, Shadows Over Hammerhal might not be a bad shout. Personally I prefer the Dungeon Saga game but the new Warhammer Quest is quite good. My only issue was that all dungeon levels are active at once and you can travel between them which can make coming back to the game over several sessions quite hard as there’s no way to track progress. But house ruling it such that you progress one floor at a time is actually quite easy. It has the added advantage that you can use your Age.of Sigmar miniatures with it and vice versa.

kiranamida
    5783xp
    Cult of Games Member

We’ve also had success with Massive Darkness. We used some tweaks towards the end of the campaign to counter the power creep of the characters as they find increasingly min/max gear combos.

I think the real strength of it was that you can start with the base game box and then add on things as and when and as much as you like. From new monsters to new characters and a new campaign/board set if you want.

Though if you want to get your money per hour: The Gears of War minis game… Four hours in and we hadn’t been able to finish the tutorial missions.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Dare I suggest “Blackstone Fortress”?

I have no idea how it plays but those miniatures…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  onlyonepinman.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Im going to get a small loan for it!

Despite having clutch problems earlier today. *grumble grumble*

davehawes
    7768xp
    Cult of Games Member

Mice and Mystics is definitely a nice one, great feel to the story too. I’ve not played Gloomhaven, but I’ve drooled over it at enough conventions and videos to say it looks fantastic. The only reasons I haven’t picked it up is it looks like it might be more of a lifestyle commitment than a game. That and the fact they announced a steam version which is probably going to be a lot more viable cost/space wise.

Not quite a dungeon crawler, but I have to say I love “Village Attacks” we just picked it up at Spiel and have been playing through the campaign in the box. It’s probably seen more play-time than anything else we picked up. It’s more like a tower defence game, though you do have characters that kill mobs, level-up and occasionally have to deal with tricky puzzle-y bosses and the challenges of each different scenario. But the scope for levelling up isn’t huge, and all the “gear” is basically buying one-shot traps to deploy in the castle to kill those pesky villagers.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

I feel your pain.  I had clutch and flywheel replaced earlier this year and within two weeks the fecker was back in the garage having the flywheel replaced AGAIN because the replacement had failed.  The second flywheel was done under warranty but it cost me a fortune in hire cars for the total of two weeks it spent off the road

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  onlyonepinman.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Thanks for the recommendation @davehawes do you have a link to that one?

@onlyonepinman The car went in for repais today. Hoping its only a cylinder beneath the clutch. Which is the far cheaper thing to repair. Say a prayer for me…

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Fingers crossed for you man. And any pennies saved could be put towards a nice new Dungeon Crawler 🙂

odinsgrandson
    Participant
    4288xp

I’ve played a few that I can recommend:

– Stuffed Fables has some excellent minis that paint up really well.  If you’re not playing with kids, you probably want to use the “Seasoned Stuffies” official variants (ways to increase the difficulty).

– Journey has some excellent minis.  I haven’t gotten to play it all that much, but I did not find it to be clunky.

– Dark Souls has some pretty good minis- and I’ve heard that it plays well if you use the “Classic Dungeon Crawl” official variant (it gets the play time down to about an hour).  Don’t bother playing it without the variant- the core combat rules for the game are really good, but the game as published needed the fix.

– Shadows of Brimstone.  The rules are fairly simple, but there is some clunkiness in tracking XP and gold.  The core minis aren’t fantastic, but the quality improves with the later releases.  I suspect that the Japanese version will improve on it a little further.

– The new Warhammer Quest probably deserves a shout out.  The minis are quite good, and the rules are quite simple.   I think it is really strange that Hammerhall is GM v Players while Silver Tower is full Co-op.  Personally, I’m hoping that Blackstone Fortress is 100% compatible with the Silver Tower, but knowing GW, they’ll probably do something to screw that up.

– Super Dungeon Explore is a good game, and there are several rules sets available.  The best way to play it is to pick up the Forgotten King box, but get the new rules online (they make the game play much faster and more tense).  The Kickstarter is extremely late (many backers have given up hope) but the game itself is fun.  The miniatures are chibi- some people love to paint chibi minis, some people really don’t.

– Descent plays well, but I don’t feel like those minis want to be painted all that much (they’re just not that interesting).  Oh, and don’t bother playing it without the APP- the GM’d version is total crap.

– Imperial Assault is good- and works decently well with both the APP and with a GM.  So if you like the Star Wars minis, you should check it out.

– Mansions of Madness is a terrific game with “meh” minis.

– The Others is good, but you need a GM.

– Zombicide is good, and I honestly think it plays better without the Kickstarter Exclusives (the extra heroes get redundant really quick).  Remember that the fantasy and contemporary settings aren’t compatible (well, you could probably fudge it a little).

– I haven’t played Massive Darkness- I’ve heard good and bad things about it, and I’m sure the minis are good.

– Widower’s Wood and Undercity- this one might be clunky for you.  The rules are written more like wargame rules (you have to learn the rules from the book, then play the game.  That frontloading of rules makes the game seem more complex).  The minis are quite nice (especially the WW minis) and I recommend getting the Black River Irregulars expansion as well (since each core set only comes with 4 heroes).

– Folklore the Affliction is a hilarious game- absolutely awful, clunky and unclear rules, and the mechanics are bonkers.  but somehow a lot of fun (maybe laughing at as much as with).  Really, I don’t think I’ve ever played a board game before that was so bad that it came back around to being good.

– Smog Riders: Dimensions of Madness isn’t well known.  It has a steampunk setting, and has “Mission Impossible” type gameplay (the heroes are mostly fighting the rooms, with only a few enemies showing up).  Requires a GM.

– Kingdom Death: Monster has the best minis and is a terrific rules set.  The rules presentation is very smooth- it actually keeps the game from feeling clunky.  Unfortunately, it is not reasonably priced.

– I haven’t had a chance to play Darklight: Memento Mori yet, but that one looks promising.”

– Gloomhaven is a lot of fun, but it uses standees for most enemies, and the minis for the heroes aren’t great.

– I haven’t tried out Sword and Sorcery yet.  Some people really love it.  The complaint I’ve heard about it is that it is kind of generic.

There are some upcoming dungeon crawlers that look like they’ll be awesome.  Middara has made some big promises, and should be delivering pretty soon.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  odinsgrandson. Reason: Didn't quite finish the first time
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  odinsgrandson.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  odinsgrandson. Reason: thought of a bit more to add

davehawes
    7768xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage here it is!

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Thanks @davehawes

Wow @odinsgrandson that is insane, long, comprehensive and awesome. Thank you for taking the time to right that 🙂

tanath
    Participant
    1723xp

HeroQuest as my suggestion too 🙂

I just bought a copy and will arrive tomorrow. It was a little expensive but compared to board games these days, it is about the same as what you pay on a CMON KS for example.

Super Dungeon Explore has some fun and fast play mechanics and cute minis. The game is reasonably priced too.

Good luck with the hunt.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)