Skip to toolbar

Hobby weekender 09/02/2019 – Right Place, Right Year…

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby weekender 09/02/2019 – Right Place, Right Year…

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 65 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mage 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

These photos aren’t the best but they are what I have been working on

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@sundancer

Nice droids! Damn, your Star Warsing up a storm as usual.

@evilstu

It would be awesome! Imperial Fists would be immune though…

Got through the shift ok. Last two nights pretty well tbh. I think I’ve developed a new successful system. Third tried a charm (Thursday).

Ah cool, thanks for teaching me that about a barbican.

More Warhammer fantasy, which is nice to hear!

I do 8-5, 8-8, 8pm-8am three days in a row and then two or three days off.

Yeah, the army painter method works with just neat basecoats. If you ever want to actually play a Warhammer fantasy game with a decent sized army and have multiple armies then I think it is the only way. You have some grand WFB plans ahead of you.

Now, not the game, but do any of the Age of Sigmar models interest you?

@dwafydd The Knight is coming along nicely in the sub assemblies.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Page 2:

@dawfydd

Interesting technique on the cannon weapon thingy

@sundancer

A fantastic finished paint job

@horati0nosebl0wer

Dear god that’s real? I thought Emperor Trump was a large scale trolling meme internet joke.

@rayzryr

Thanks! People rarely tell me my ideas are good,

Interesting footprint with Australia and comparrisons.

Dark Angels looking good too!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by  mage.

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hey Team, have had flaky internet, power and website issues today so will leave proper responses until tomorrow ‘m afraid 🙁

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Everybody has website issues. the boys are tinkering with it again.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Things seem pretty fairly okay-ish kinda on my end.

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

@sundancer I can imaging you standing across the table from some power gamer as you lay out you Ewok/Gungan allied army…

Great collection so far too.

@horati0nosebl0wer with regard to WoD, to be fair: they were trying to cover the whole world. Often with multiple inter-relating layers of myth and legend. Then trying to tie that back to their own unique story. For the most part they did really really well. I always enjoyed my time in that world, back in the late 90’s.

I’d say that when it came to regions/ myths/ stories with which the authors were well acquainted or researched, they came across as highly detailed, and authentic to an outsider like me. This then made the contrast all the more stark when something didn’t read with that level of detail or sincerity.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for your kind words on my Marines! I highlight there for two reasons: as you say it breaks up the shape a little, and I’m not a fan of the GW style edge highlighting.

@mage you’re welcome mate! A good idea should be recognised ?

An unproductive day on its own is no big matter. Some days we just need to sit and do nothing. It’s good for R&R. It’s just when Most days are unproductive that there might be a problem…

Damn, the tactical weapon that Magnus should’ve deployed in the defence of Prospero…

Those DnD minis are alright. I’ve painted one, the Unicorn. I’d be happy to purchase more too. For the price they are, I’m not going to complain ?

Big ol’ Australia.

Thanks for the comments on the DA ?

@evilstu @sundancer @mage

Yeah my connection was rough as well.

I was updating my DA project and went to publish about 1/2 hours work (text, pictures, painting guide) and the connection just sort of froze after I hit “Publish”.

Gone. Zapped. Eaten by the Internet. Not sure if it was this site, or my shaky, crappy net connection. So a good half of my nights hobby activity disappeared with the click of a button. Quiet rage here…

Listened to some music, and tinkered with a spread sheet… A Dark Angels Legion spreadsheet… epic levels of nerdery I’m sure… haha!

Tomorrow I’ll start on the next DA squad. Or update my project…

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@rayzryr

I hate unproductive days haha.

Yeah, a Dyson would have worked better than his opening salvo of pacifacy and ideology bombardments didn’t quite put them on a good footing.

For the price/quality I would like to pick up a load. Wouldn’t paint them up to a my own personal Warhammer character model standard but I’d do them well enough.

Lovin’ your DA.

I did the same ages back with excel with my Sons of Horus and some Death Guard lists. Good fun!

Quick question to everyone on the thread, how many of us have current or backburner Horus Heresy armies?

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Cant wait to get home and do some hobby. Eleven minutes left… and then a drive home…

Im almost done with Goblin town!

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@mage I have Word Bearers for 30k. Lorgar, Gal Vorbek etc all. Just need to assemble my marines from Battle For Prospero. And lots of paint required as well.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

I did a thing! Can you guess what it is? 😉

Screenshot_2019-02-12 Instagram

@mage Budgets are the way to go. As is I’ve cut all my purchases and only keeping the subscriptions going. The cost of figures and the ability to paint comes at a premium. I’ll be putting cash down for taking care of my soon to be geriatric cat so money does become and issue. I should change his name to Old Gummy as he’ll be getting some dental extraction done. On top of that I’ll be moving soon (can’t find a roommate where I’m at now) so hooray moving costs. Bah!

The meme was a joke to begin with and then it became a that float. I’m amused in watching an overly cerebral analysis of the whole thing when I looked over YouTube. What else from the geek underground will come to be seen in popular iconography? Should we all pitch in to have a true icon painted for the blessed St. Gerard with gold leaf and such? He keeps an eye out from the background for what Lance pulls into Photoshop as we’ve seen on multiple occasions. With as much veneration as Mr. Butler’s received during the Hobby Hangouts it would only be right to show some respect and admiration.

@evilstu Its all good. From what I understand of the Internet down under you guys get some pretty flaky service in general.

@sundancer I think you might be right about the tinkering. I just saw the LEGO movie 2 today and it might be relevant.

@rayzryr  The detail level of writing having great disparity makes perfect sense. It really makes itself apparent when you delve into the Kindred of the East book and see that they were essentially trying to put across the spiritual aspect of things that ended up looking like the RPG Feng Shui and not be so silly as Big Trouble in Little China.

I watched a video from Miniac where he did some work on a Black Legion figure trying to replicate the ‘Eavy Metal style of painting. I’ll be getting some mileage out of it here soon as I really like how he did the pauldron with the background red effect.

The Internet taketh and so we of your ilk here do giveth back

I recommend the section on the tabard to you @sundancer if you have to hit anything with red again. Now what is this that you give to us? Is this a scale model of your humble home that you’re decided to go ahead and do all the interior decoration that your wife won’t allow you to build in full scale? Perhaps its the floor plans to a full scale home for ants or little people like we were told about in Zoolander that hasn’t had the doors or indoor plumbing put in?

@woldenspoons Are you too getting in on this Space Marine Mixer? Sheesh. I might need to do something about this myself and not be the odd one out.

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Hmm, I have the Betrayal at a Calth set, but ultimately I bought it for 40k, not 30k. I don’t anyone who plays 30k.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@woldenspoons

I have a small contingent of Word Bearers too. Also I own a larger Sons of Horus contingent as well as Alpha Legion and Death Guard.

@sundancer

Interesting. Is it a building for…. Star Wars Legion? Please don’t say Imperial Assault!

@horati0nosebl0wer

Im getting Warhammer 40,000 Conquest but this paypack nothing to do with hobby. Saving for concerts and getting some bits and pieces for other things. And paying off the credit card. Damn thing.

Sorry to hear about your cat. Moving is a pain too.

No pics but completed another Dwarf (Kili) from the Hobbit. I was surprised because I made swift progress last night and thought he would take longer. I just have to finish Fili and that’s the entire starter set done. Well I will have to varnish and base them and post up a project log. I might get you guys to give me feedback on what wash to put on the sand of the bases. They aren’t planks but I want them to fit into where the starter set (Goblin town) is based.

What is next? I’ve been doing a lot of fantasy stuff lately and still wanna do more. However I think I need to do a small change and I might return to my Blood Angels or do the Necromunda starter set.

Also I think it would be fun if well all did a collaborative project @rayzryr @woldenspoons @dawfydd and anyone else. Maybe we do a thread and chart progress and work already done of our Horus Heresy armies?

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@rayzryr You could play 40k with a 40k ish looking army? Eh? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)