Skip to toolbar

Hobby space paint rack suggestions wanted

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby space paint rack suggestions wanted

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  angelicdespot 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

TLDR Version: Please point me towards cheap and accessable space effcient paint racks that would fit the desk set up below.

While waiting for a wash to dry I’ve tidied up my desk a tiny bit and made space for another paint rack.  My first port of call will likely be TTCombat because they are cheap and reliale.  I’ve already got two of theirs.  The downside to the paint racks I’ve seen is they take up valuable desk space as you need to be able to access and see every part of them.  You can’t just stack them up in a space efficient manner.  Here is what my desk looks like right now, more or less.  I had to piece this image together as I couldn’t stand far enough back to capture the whole thing in one shot.

desk rebuilt

I’ve freed up some space by the silver lamp and my compressor.  I’ve also since then freed up space on the bottom shelf behind that.  Thats ideally where I’m looking for more racks.  I cannot put anything on the wall behind the monitors as there is a radiator behind the desk and I don’t want my paints to dry out.  I also don’t trust the plasterwork on that wall enough to go drilling holes in to it and mounting shelving

Part of the drive for this is that I’ve been an Asset Drop subscriber for a year.  You see those stacks of small boxes on the shelves by the curtain?  Those are their deliveries.  I’ve been keeping the paints in the sets they arrive in so when I wan tto follow their wood recipe I just grab that box and everything is there.  The down side to this is it takes up a lot more space than it should, and I don’t use those paints on the fly as they take effort to get to, and I don’t know what paints are there unless I’ve followed their guide a few times already.  I need a paint rack (or two?) that can accomodate a range of shapes and sizes of pots:

paints

Here we see what I took out of those boxes.  It’s not everything I have from them, but you can see a range of pot designs.  I also have a square pot from Revell from them on my desk.  It’s usually standard sized dropper bottles, but occasionally its stuff with a P3/Coat d’arms bottle, or something odd with a GW bottle footprint, or some pigment or weathering product with an even larger base.

I am looking for paint rack suggestions that don’t cost the earth, don’t require me to go out of my way to find, and don’t take up more space than is needed.  Wall mounting is not really what I’m looking for either.  Any suggestions?

SIDE STORY:

See that pile of P3 paints by the window?  They don’t need a paint rack as I already have one.  Where is it you ask?  Well now.  Three Christmases ago my housemate gave me one he had hand made and instantly took it back saying it just needed a little more work and varnishing.  I then didn’t see it again for 30 months.  When he finally gave it to me the pots wouldn’t fit in to half of the holes so he tok it back again to fix it.  I’m now being told that he is going to start again from scratch and I’m not allowed to buy a rack for those paints and its almost Christmas again.  Over two years to work on something I could buy for £10 and he’s got to start again?

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

Look what my phone made all by itself.  Thats a better image.

room2

damon
    7525xp
    Cult of Games Member

I like the Warbases racks for the dropper bottle style paint pots

Paint rack

Trying to add a link but it’s playing silly buggers.

Can be found at Warbases.co.uk in Accessories>Painting Accessories

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I do like that they can be stacked on top of each other.  I can’t do that with my TTCombat one.  They look sturdy too.  And the bottles don’t poke out the end, meaning you could fill a shelf with them, label the ends with their contents and slide them in and out to get to the paints if you wanted.  Interesting.

a27cromwell
    Participant
    3127xp

Vallejo have a a variety of both desk and wall mount racks in various sizes . The desk one I have holds both the dropper type bottle , as well as  space for your larger GW type pots  in the rear row . Check on line or at your LHS to see which one of the dozen or so types they make suits your requirements 26010-wall-mounted-stand-17ml_151-YT0UYS0L

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Dr. Faust made use of nail paint racks

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve seen this idea before and I was considering it.  However these do take up a fair amount of space and you don’t know for sure what bottles will fit until it arrives as they aren’t designed for us.  I had not thought about the lack of predrilled holes though.  This is super flexible and accomodates any paint.  I’m definitely going to have to check amazon.co.uk, unless anyone has any specific models they have used and recommend?

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m trying THIS.  We will see if its any good.  Seems to be a tiny bit bigger than the one above.  £11.03 with free delivery.  Should be here in a week – 10 days.  I’ll come back with a review once its set up.  I’m still interested in any other recommendations anyone has.

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

I saw this one on wish

https://www.wish.com/m/c/59f6d7150a332a5647806f3d

There are a few on wish if you search for paint rack

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

This finally arrived yesterday (15 days later).

packed

It was a tiny bit fiddly to assemble and some of the nuts didn’t want to go on the bolts, but it assembled fine, and fairly quickly.  Much quicker than MDF, given that needs drying time for the PVA.

filled

Here it is fully loaded with paints from a variety of brands.  i realise now that there’s no GW paints, but those Com Arts paints at the back are the same footprint.  The trays are big enough to take all but the largest paint pots I’ve got (Cote D’Arms textured paint and some larger pigment pots).  There are 85 paints in the rack.  It has a smaller footprint but is taller than the TTCombat GW rack that holds 60 pots.  The trays are just over 1.5″ or about 40mm wide on the inside.

setup

Here it is in situ.  I’m quite happy with it and I’ve just ordered a second for next to it.  I may end up with a third eventually.

For anyone interested in getting their own, do an eBay search for “7 Tier Nail Polish Rack Organizer Tiers Makeup Cosmetic Holder Display Shelf”.  The one I bought was sold by “beauty-hot” but there seems to be multiple auctions for the same product from a few different accounts, which I suspect are managed by the same person.  A link to the auction can be found in my previous post, but it should expire and be replaced soon.  Here is the pic from the auction to help identify it for yourselves if you look here later:

ebay

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Looks good. And if you paint it from the inside you have a shiny colour one 😉

Maybe something in…. PINK?! @amachan XD #scnr

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I like leaving it clear.  it means you can store stuff under/behind it that you don’t need often and still find it later.  I’ve got one of my PC speakers under mine right now and I may drill a few holes through the sides to allow the air and sound to flow better.

If you are going to paint one, there are 7 shelves and 7 colours in the rainbow…

angelicdespot
    4686xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks for coming back with this.   One day I’d like to get some paint racks for myself, so this will be very useful.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)