Skip to toolbar

A base or board: a spooky Cthulhu house

Home Forums Terrain & Scenery in Tabletop Gaming A base or board: a spooky Cthulhu house

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  horati0nosebl0wer 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Hey guys,

I am building a two foot by two foot board for call of Cthulhu. It is for the starter scneario ‘The Haunting’; the subject of which is the Old Corbitt Place. While I have the maps and know the layout and what everything should look like, I am not a good terrain builder.

For the base, what should I use? Pine, plywood? Mdf? I do not want it to sag, nor curl at the edges. Also, I am not sure how thick to make it.

All advice would be readily welcomed!

Here is a rough floor plan:

Old Corbitt Place Ground with outside 1

I will order trees, use old movement tray pieces for the stone slabs outside, and lollypop sticks for the wood floors. I am not sure what to build the walls out of, and havent though as far ahead about the furniture and junk. Any suggestions for these?

Thanks in advance!

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Pics to follow! Did a tiny bit of work on this. I ran out of supplies (glue and popsickle sticks) halfway through (or a quarter of the way through).

Gonna rectify this tomorrow.

It didnt help that I forgot my gosh darned wallet when I went out for glue. Cancelled the whole thing.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

3B165556-469B-416D-B237-AD1E5F2EB23C

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

4130FEDD-DD7F-48D7-90EB-8D249587DC6A

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

hey @mage sorry I saw this and meant to post earlier but havent had a chance before now. Re base, make it as light as you can for the weight of what’s going on top as the weight of the piece will add up once you start adding to it. I don’t know if you have a dedicated craft store near you but if you do then those places can be gold. MDF/foam core (Sold for photo frames)  is great for walls – just cut to size with a sharp hobby knife and rules, glue with PVA and use pins t hold in place until it sets or use a hot glue gun if you want an instant bond. Balsa wood or coffee stirrers for fixtures like door and window frames. Craft stores may also have supplies for making dolls houses (usually in 1/12 scale?) so while the furniture might not work you might be able to get printed paper or stickers to use for tiles or wooden panelling for the floors of the house. If you are super-keen someone suggested once small doll’s house woven rugs can work for interiors in gaming too. Given the 1920’s setting you might be able to find some printed paper for scrapbooking/origami which can be repurposed as wallpaper.

With regard to furniture, I’d say don’t worry too much – you can most likely come up with scratch built representative equivalents form paper/cardboard/coffee stirrers/modelling clay. s long as it represents what it’s supposed to be then you should be able to get away with it. If you are keen for something more fit for purpose and have the time/inclination then zealot minis do a bunch heartbreakingly beautiful dungeon furniture which you might be able to use in a more modern setting. Or there is the mantic stuff that has just been released too – tavern/library/wizards sets might be appropriate and would provide scatter for other terrain projects later.

Failing that if you have access to a reasonable quality colour printer maybe check out paper terrain options (Fat Dragon games or similar? if I recall there were a bunch of printable terrain options on Drive thru RPG?) – would save you needing to paint/texture the facade of your building and there may even be furniture options.

The craft sections in discount shops/pound stores are also good for little bits and pieces. necklace charms can occasionally come in surprisingly useful shapes (Ships wheels and anchors etc) so you might spot something useful. Best of luck 🙂

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Man thats a shotgun blast of nice tips! Kind of overwhelming lol. You know your stuff.

So, I am not building the entire house, but kind of close. It still need to be more a faux 3d map for role playing purposes. Then again my feelings could change and I might take it further. Defo doing the floor plan and surrounding outside for the time being 🙂

Im going to pore over this later when I relax and take it all in!

Better late than never on this for the furniture.

Ok, I just literally pulled this up as a random search and it fits perfectly

Tiny Furniture

I’d normally do more but its just after 1 AM and I am beat.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)